A Way to Honor the Sacred Heart of Jesus
The Nine First Fridays devotion.
In the year 1675, the pocket watch was patented, integral calculus was introduced and, most relevant for us and our Faith, Jesus appeared to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque to share His love for souls and His desire for a Feast of the Sacred Heart. He also asked specifically for a devotion of the Nine First Fridays in reparation for all the offenses against His Sacred Heart.
Here is the devotion explained, in Jesus’ own words to St. Margaret Mary:
I promise you in the excessive mercy of my Heart that its all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on nine first Fridays of consecutive months the grace of final repentance; they will not die under my displeasure or without receiving their sacraments, my divine Heart making itself their assured refuge at the last moment.
He made these twelve promises to St. Margaret Mary for all those who kept this devotion to His Sacred Heart:
- I will give them all the graces necessary for their state of life.
- I will establish peace in their families.
- I will console them in all their difficulties.
- I will be their assured refuge in life, and more especially at death.
- I will pour out abundant benedictions on all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in My Heart an infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall advance rapidly to great perfection.
- I will bless the houses in which the image of My Heart shall be exposed and honored.
- I will give to priests the power of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Persons who propagate this devotion shall have their names inscribed in My Heart, and they shall never be effaced from It.
- I promise thee, in the excess of the mercy of My Heart, that Its all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Communion on the First Friday of every Month, for nine consecutive months, the grace of final repentance, and that they shall not die under My displeasure, nor without receiving their Sacraments, and that My Heart shall be their secure refuge at that last hour.
This devotion is not an easy button to Heaven, but rather an outpouring of mercy from Our Lord to all those willing to cooperate with His grace in the Sacrament of the Eucharist. It shows us that God cannot be outdone in generosity. He offers the infinite gifts of peace, mercy, and ultimate salvation in return for the gift of our time and devotion.
To take on this Nine First Fridays devotion, simply commit to attending Mass and receiving Holy Communion on the first Friday of the month for nine consecutive months! It sounds easy enough, but it truly is a commitment of time and energy. However, Jesus promised us through St. Margaret Mary that our time, energy, and devotion is never wasted. In fact, they will be multiplied through the great gift of mercy He offers us from His Sacred Heart.Our time, energy, and devotion is never wasted. In fact, they will be multiplied through the great gift of mercy He offers us from His Sacred Heart. #BISblog #prayerpledge // Click To Tweet
Let Us Pray
Heavenly Father, thank You for Your goodness and generosity, for never ceasing to shower us with grace and mercy! May we devote ourselves fully to the devotion to Your Sacred Heart in reparation for all the offenses against You. Help us persevere in our devotion, that we may enjoy eternity with You. Amen.
Where have you seen God’s generosity in your life?
Have you ever heard of the First Fridays devotion? Is this something you feel called to pursue?In His Heart: The 2020 Prayer Pledge // Day 24 #BISblog #prayerpledge // Click To Tweet